Social media and family law – Just don’t do it!

Social media – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and the like – can be a lot of fun and have become an accepted part of modern life.  Many of us use such forms of electronic communication to share the exciting, as well as the banal events in our lives, to express our views and to stay in touch with loved ones.  But what happens when people going through a relationship breakdown take to social media?  Usually little good comes of it, and sometimes quite a lot of bad can result.


Social media as evidence

If you are going through a separation, you should expect your former partner, their lawyer or the children’s lawyer to search social media to see if they can find out anything damaging about you that could be used as evidence. For example, if you are involved in a financial dispute and might be claiming that you cannot afford to pay spouse maintenance or increased child support, it would probably not be a good idea to share on Instagram photos of your latest holiday or new car.

Similarly, when involved in a parenting dispute, you would be wise not to post to Facebook about your latest “big night out”, especially if the children were in your care at that time.

When making a decision about where children are to live and with whom they are to spend time, the Court can take into account the ability of the parents to communicate and cooperate with one another.  So, it is not likely to be helpful if the Court is shown evidence of abusive or derogatory posts you have made on social media about your former partner.

Of course, many people have social media privacy settings which limit the information that can be seen by non-”friends”. If you haven’t set your social media privacy in that way, you would be wise to do that while you’re sorting out the issues arising from your relationship breakdown. However, even with tight privacy settings, it’s still better to be very careful about what you post, or just don’t do it at all.


Social media and prosecution

The law prohibits the publication, including by electronic means, of information relating to family law proceedings which identifies the parties involved, people associated with those parties or any witnesses. Anyone who breaches that rule is guilty of an offence, the maximum penalty for which is 12 months imprisonment.

That prohibition has not prevented some people involved in family law proceedings from using social media as a weapon against their former partner, by carrying out a campaign of cyber-bullying against their former partner, his or her lawyers, the children’s lawyers and the judicial officers involved in the case.

In two recent cases involving such unlawful social media publication, the Court focused primarily on two things.

Firstly, the Court invoked its child protection jurisdiction and concerned itself with the harm that might befall the children if, as a result of social media publication of information relating to family law proceedings, members of the public could identify the children involved, such that the children might then be exposed to ridicule, curiosity or notoriety.

Secondly, the Court considers it in the public interest to preserve public perception of the integrity and impartiality of the Courts and judicial system, which some litigants have used social media to attack.

In both cases, the Judges commented on the difference between unlawful publication of information about family law proceedings in a one off newspaper article, for example, and publication on the internet, which is and remains available for quick and easy access by anyone, anywhere, at any time.

In one of those cases the offending parent was ordered to remove all references to the parties and the proceedings from the website he or his family had set up to cyber-bully the mother and to expose the lawyers and judges involved in the case as “corrupt”. In addition, the Court ordered the Federal Police to investigate whether the father had committed an indictable offence.

Similar orders were made in the other case in which the offending party, again the father, had used Facebook to denigrate the mother and her lawyers, the Court, the Department of Community Services and the children’s lawyer.


Can social media be good?

The cases referred to above involved ongoing bitterness and acrimony between the separated couple. Happily, that isn’t always the case, and some separating parents can respectfully communicate and cooperate with each other for the benefit of their children. In such a situation, tech savvy parents may find a way to use electronic communication or social media to their mutual advantage, for example privately sharing necessary information about the children and their activities.



Unless you and your former partner can find a way to privately use electronic communication to help you co-parent your children after separation, the general guideline when it comes to social media and family law disputes is just don’t do it.

Not only would you not want to find your Facebook posts being used as evidence against you in court proceedings, you could even expose yourself to prosecution by the Federal Police for breaching the law against publication of information relating to family law proceedings.

If you or someone you know wants more information or needs help or advice, please contact us on 03 9497 2622 or email

Personal Property Security Register

It is crucial that people who have a security interest in personal property take it seriously or risk losing their security interests.

Many businesses are struggling to understand the implications of the Personal Property Security Register (PPSR).

In this article we have provided a simple summary and a timely warning about what to do, following changes that were implemented to the Personal Property Securities Act (PPS Act) in 2014.


The PPSR explained

The PPSR is a national, electronic register of security interests in personal property which was established on 30 January 2012.

It includes security interests in goods, vehicles, intellectual property and any other personal property, but does not apply to land.

A “security interest” includes any interest in personal property which is created by an agreement that secures a payment or performance of an obligation to another person (for example a fixed and floating charge over an asset).

The PPSR is the only register which determines whether a security interest:

  • is enforceable; and or
    • takes priority over other interests.


What about a security interest granted before 30 January 2012?

The PPSR transitional period ended on 30 January 2014 and anyone who was granted a security interest before 30 January 2012 needs to ensure that those interests are registered on the PPSR.

Failure to have a security interest registered on the PPSR will mean that those interests will be unenforceable if a subsequent security interest holder registers an interest on the PPSR.


Who is most likely to be affected?

This is particularly relevant for anyone who is engaged in the business of:

  • Leasing and hiring equipment;
  • Supplying goods based on retention of title;
  • Mortgaging equipment; and
  • Imposing a charge over the property of individuals or companies as security for loan repayments.

Note: Amendments to the PPS Act which commenced on 1 October 2015 means that businesses which frequently use fixed term leases with a duration of between 90 days and 1 year over serial numbered goods such as motor vehicles, aircraft, watercraft and other items may no longer need to register those leases once the amendment takes effect.


How you can do a search of the PPSR

Some security interests prior to 30 January 2012 have been migrated onto the PPSR (for example, charges registered on the ASIC Register of Company Charges) whilst others may not have.

Even where charges have been ‘successfully’ migrated onto the PPSR, issues have arisen during the migration process which mean there is no guarantee that all migrated charges are properly registered on the PPSR.

Therefore it is essential that a check be done.

To ensure you are protected it is important that you search the PPSR but before searching the online register you will need to set up an account.   Once you have an account and pay a small fee you can search by serial number, individual or by company to locate a security interest.


The consequences if you don’t register

Failure to register interests on the PPSR may result in the priority of your interests being lost to other parties with competing interests.

For intellectual property interests, this is the case even if your security interests have already been recorded on the IP Registers maintained by IP Australia.


Why simply claiming a ‘retention of title’ won’t work

You also should register your interest in goods supplied to a customer where you and/or your business have not received full payment. This will assist in the recovery of any debt that may be owed.

Under the PPS Act a person who supplies goods on the basis that the supplier retains ownership until paid, or leases goods to a customer, can be treated as having a security interest in the goods.

A failure to register can mean that the goods are lost to their customers’ creditors even though the owner of the goods has not changed.


Need help?

There has been much written about the PSSA and this article is not intended to be anything but a simple ‘heads up’ message so you have the essential details.

Identifying the issues is one matter, but having a workable plan for you or your business is another matter entirely.


We can assist you with your due diligence enquiries and with recording your interests on the PPSR so call us on 03 9497 2622 or email

Traps to Avoid when buying a Property – pre contract inspections

Buying a home is the biggest investment or financial outlay that most of us will make in a lifetime. It is critical to your financial future that you make well-informed decisions when you purchase a property, whether it be for your own home or an investment.

The Contract for Sale of Land basically follows the common law of “caveat emptor”– let the buyer beware. This means that the purchaser must make their own enquiries and investigate the quality of the improvements on the property before they enter into a contract to buy that property.

A vendor or seller of the property is not allowed to deliberately hide defects or deceive the buyer by fraud but the purchaser should undertake searches and inspections of the property to discover any defects in the property. Failure to do this may result in the buyer losing their deposit and being sued by the seller for breach of contract, or the buyer can end up with a property that needs expensive repairs.


Pre-contract inspections

There are various inspections that a purchaser should get done prior to entering into a contract to buy a property. The number of inspections and searches depend on the location and type of property you are purchasing, the inspections may be different for a residential house in town, a strata unit, vacant land, rural property or industrial property.

In this article we shall look at pre-contract inspections for a standard residential house.


Timber Pest Inspection

In locations which are susceptible to pest infestation a qualified and insured pest inspector will conduct a visual inspection of the property to discover if there is any termite or other pest activity at present or in the past.

More detailed inspection such as thermal imaging or photographs of the walls and bathrooms to highlight any damp areas that should not be present may also be conducted if required. The inspector will also conduct a moisture meter reading of the bathrooms and other wet areas as termites are attracted by damp timber. They will also examine the property for any wood decay, borers or rot that will affect the structure of the home.

Termite damage undiscovered can not only increase but can cost many thousands of dollars to repair. Sometimes if the damage is really bad that part of the house might have to be demolished and rebuilt wreaking damage on your investment.


Building Inspections

A qualified and insured building inspector should be commissioned to inspect the property including the house, any garage or other buildings located on the property.

The Inspector will investigate the interior and exterior of the buildings including the most costly items to repair being the roof, kitchen and bathroom/s, looking for any defects that are not usual “wear and tear”.

In an existing home there are usually small defects which accumulate over time due to use and are readily visible but it is the not so visible defects that are costly like a leaking roof that can cost tens of thousands of dollars to repair.

If the inspection reports show issues of concern, other specialist tradesmen may be required to check specific areas or issues.


Plumbing and Electrical

A licensed plumber may be required to inspect drainage issues.

If the property has a septic waste system that is not connected to the town sewerage supply, a plumber’s report should be obtained as a new septic system can cost $10,000+ to install plus excavation works in trenching a faulty system.

If there is any indication that electrical wiring may be faulty or the house is very old, an electrician may be requested to evaluate the property.


Pools and spas

If the property includes a pool or a spa then the pump and any ancillary equipment as well as the pool or spa itself should be investigated to ensure good working order.


Council records

It may be necessary to make application to the local Council for a copy of the building records for the property which will include any development applications (DA), building site records, floor plans and termite protection installed on building.

The DA for the original dwelling house and other buildings should be carefully matched to the existing structure to make sure that the plans approved by council have been complied with. If an owner builds structures on a property that require council approval and the owner builds without an approved DA, the council can lodge a demolition order against the property or require it to be approved as “continuing use” after payment of hefty fees to council.

Structures such as decks, large sheds, pools and pergolas can also fall into this category.


Building Certificate

If there are unapproved structures on the property you should request that the seller obtains a building certificate to ensure that council will not look to you after the sale to demolish, rectify or obtain approvals.



A survey shows the dimensions and boundaries of the property. It will also identify any encroachments by structures erected on the land.

In areas inhabited for a long time the fences are often not right on the boundary or there may actually be part of a building encroaching on your land. In more extreme cases, a driveway which appears to be on the property you are buying may actually be on the next door neighbour’s property which would mean you may end up with no access to your new home.



If you are purchasing a strata property then a full examination of the strata management records should be undertaken by an experienced person. The strata records will show not only the financial details of the administrative and sinking funds but will also show plumbing, drainage, fencing, driveway and other problems that may exist or which have been repaired in the past. Any proposal for additional works or levies should be identified via a strata inspection.


A penny saved is a penny earned

Your lawyer can advise you of the pre-contract inspections which should be carried out for each property. Not doing pre-contract inspections before you buy a property is not only risky but it is also false economy. Considering that the cost of a building and pest inspection for an average house costs about $500-$650 the outlay represents about 0.1% of the purchase price of an average home!

The traps when buying a property are easily avoidable and the risk far outweighs the cost of proper and diligent investigation before you buy.

If you or someone you know wants more information or needs help or advice, please contact us on 03 9497 2622 or email

Understanding a Commercial Lease

When renting business related property, it is important for both Landlords and Tenants to understand the relationship they are entering into and the rights and obligations that they each have. The document that governs this relationship is usually a Commercial Lease.


So what is a Commercial Lease?

A lease is a legally binding contract that gives you certain rights to a property for a set term. A commercial lease is used when leasing property used primarily for a business.

You should never sign a lease without understanding all of its terms and conditions. If you don’t understand what you are agreeing to, you could experience serious financial and legal problems.

It is important to properly investigate the property and lease document before you sign. It is a good idea to ask us to explain the main clauses of the lease to you. We can give you legal advice, draft new clauses and help you negotiate the terms and conditions to suit you.


Important issues to consider when entering into a lease

A commercial lease will usually contain terms dealing with items such as:

Rent: How much is the rent and when is it due? The amount of the rent will usually be calculated based on the area of the premises. This may not always be as simple as it sounds if the shape of the property is irregular or the area includes a lift, more than one floor, outdoor area or interior walls.

Rent Increases: Rent will usually increase annually during the term of the lease, with increases determined by a fixed percentage, be market based or tied to the CPI. It is common for CPI or fixed reviews to occur during the term of a lease and for a market review to occur at the expiry of the initial term and at the start of each option period.

Security Deposit: The landlord will usually ask for some form of security from the tenant in case the tenant defaults on their obligations (eg. not paying rent). The security is usually for an amount equal to 3-6 months rent and is often by way of bank guarantee. If the tenant is a company, then personal guarantees from the company’s directors may also be required. The lease should also specify the terms regarding return of security deposit. In terms of the security, a lot depends on the prior experience and business experience of the tenant, as well as their financial position. If the tenant has limited financial experience in the proposed endeavour, then the landlord will usually ask for a longer security of up to 6 months. If the lease is being transferred, the landlord could seek an alteration to the security deposit if the incoming tenant does not have strong prior business experience in the proposed venture, or if their financial situation is fairly weak.

Term of the lease: The lease should set out the length of the lease, any options to renew the lease and any terms relating to the renewal. A landlord will generally want a longer initial lease term (typically 3, 5 or 10 years) whereas the tenant is likely to want a shorter period (1-3 years).

Option to Renew: An option allows the tenant to continue leasing the property on similar terms at the end of the initial period of the lease for a further defined period and rent (subject to any review). An option gives the landlord potential greater security of income, and gives the tenant the ability to make longer term plans for their business.

Knowing the procedure for exercising the option, especially when the option can be exercised, is critically important.

Improvements: A lease should address what improvements or modifications can be made to the property, who will pay for the improvements, and whether the tenant is responsible for returning the property to its original condition at the end of the lease.

Description of the property: The lease should clearly describe all of the property being leased, including bathrooms, common areas, kitchen area and parking areas. A plan of the property could also be included.

Signage: Any restrictions on putting up signs, say that are visible from the street, will be included in the lease. Also, local zoning regulations need to be checked to determine what other limitations may apply.

Use of the property: Most leases will include a clause defining what the tenant can do on the property (eg. what type of business can be conducted at the premises). A tenant should ask for a broad usage clause just in case the business expands into other activities. Ask your local council if your business can operate in your desired location. Also consider the council’s development plans for the area.

Outgoings. The lease will set out who is responsible for costs such as utilities, property rates & taxes, insurance, and repairs.

Insurance. You should contact your insurance company and discuss the clauses in the lease referring to insurance so you fully understand what is required by the lease.

Exclusivity clause: This is an important clause for retail businesses renting space in a commercial complex. An exclusivity clause will prevent a landlord from renting neigbouring space to a competitor.

Assignment and subletting: A tenant should maintain the right to assign the lease or sublet the space to another tenant. Usually the tenant is still ultimately responsible for paying the rent if the business fails or relocates, but with an assignment or sublet clause in place, the business can find someone else to cover the rent (subject of course to the landlords approval.).

Maintenance & Repair: The lease should clearly set out who is responsible for maintaining or repairing the property and the fixtures and fittings during the term of the lease.

Make Good: A tenant should carefully review the make good obligations in the lease.  Often these can be onerous and involve considerable expense on the tenant having to reinstate the premises to their original condition when the lease commenced.

Termination: The circumstances under which the lease will be terminated should be set out in detail in the lease.

Costs: The landlord may want the tenant to pay the costs of preparing the lease, and this should be clearly set out in the lease. In Retail Leases the landlord cannot pass the cost of preparation of the lease on to the tenant. In relation to transfers of leases, even in a retail lease situation, the landlord will seek the legal costs of their lawyers in relation to the securing of consent to the transfer. This cost is passed on to the vendor/outgoing tenant.


Retail lease or general commercial lease?

The Retail Leases Act 2003 has specific legislation relating to retail leases. This legislation is designed to provide additional protections to retail tenants and imposes a range of obligations on commercial landlords, when compared to non-retail commercial leases.

For a new retail lease, the landlord is legally required to give the tenant:

  • a written lease with matters agreed to and signed off by both parties.
  • a copy of the proposed lease as soon as the lease negotiations start
  • a disclosure statement.
  • the Victorian Small Business Commissioner Information Brochure as soon as the lease negotiations start.

The disclosure statement outlines important information about the lease, for example:

  • the term of the lease
  • whether there are options for further terms
  • the occupancy costs for leasing the premises (including rent and any outgoings)
  • specific information for shopping centre leases
  • the tenant’s fit-out requirements
  • if there are any relocation or demolition clauses



Although many of the terms of a commercial lease are fairly standard, it is important that you fully understand your rights and obligations, especially the provisions which relate to retail leasing.

It is a good idea to ask us to explain what clauses in the lease mean and to get our assistance in checking the terms and conditions so that they suit you.

If you or someone you know wants more information or needs help or advice, please contact us on 03 9497 2622 or email